Saturday 9 November 2019

Do the Daylight Shuffle

I was going to tell you all about last week and the ensuing weekend, when suddenly it dawned on me that I forgot to show you the outfits I wore in the penultimate week of October.

To be more specific, the only two outfits we were able to photograph out in the garden after work, as during the rest of that week both the weather and my mood put a spanner or two in the works.


Let's start with this black dress, with its striking print of green and white triangles, which has been a wardrobe habitué for many years.  I echoed the triangles by adding a white vinyl belt with an unusual, triangular shaped buckle.

My necklace, with alternating white, green and tan coloured beads, was a gift from a flea market trader a couple of Summers ago.


In order to provide some contrast, I wore a bright orange cardigan on top, to which I pinned what I'm calling my flapper girl brooch, the girl in question wearing a green hat and gloves, with a white fur draped over her shoulder, and thus tying in completely with the colours of my dress.

Later that week, with the weather somewhat brighter and the temperature quite mild, I was inspired to wear all-over flowers, starting with a skirt I scored at a charity shop event back in Spring. Its profusion of green, tan, orangey red and white flowers never fails to make my heart sing.


Delicate flowers are dotted all over this coral crepey blouse, which felt like the skirt's perfect companion. A recently charity shopped moss green suede belt kept it all in check. All other accessories, including the vintage celluloid flower brooch, are second-hand finds as well.

Tweed jackets and blazers are yet another weakness of mine, so this is just the tip of the iceberg. I had been looking for a green based jacket for ages when I spotted this one in a charity shop last Autumn. As is often the case, I then found another one only weeks later, so that I now have two of them. They're sufficiently different to justify keeping them both.


The clocks were put back one hour that weekend, which is putting paid to any outside outfit photos on a weekday evening for the time being. In spite of the extra hour's sleep, I was feeling out of sorts all week. Isn't it time they stop all that nonsense? Daylight saving? Don't make me laugh! Daylight shuffling would be a more adequate term in my book. There, I've said it, rant over!


On the upside, we were finally treated to some crisp, sunny days and, even if they were weekdays, I tried to make the most of them by going for walks in my lunch break and enjoy Autumn in the city.

The chilly mornings prompted the first wearing of berets and gloves and having a bevy of both to choose from, I'm always trying to match their colours. The turquoise frilly scarf is back too. I think I wore it on constant rotation last Winter, and I'm sure you'll get to see it on more than one occasion this year as well.



Trying to find a suitable place for indoor outfit photos is a nearly impossible task as we hardly have anywhere which combines suitable lighting and a reasonably neutral background.

We've been trying out this spot in our spare room which unfortunately isn't ideal. The artificial lighting is terrible for getting colours right while at the same time giving me a ghostly pallor. I'm pale enough as it is, thank you. But it'll have to do for now.



This dress, with its rainbow stripes on a reddish purple background, is another old favourite. I snapped it up at Think Twice on one of my Friday afternoon vintage shopping trips with my friend Inez a couple of  years ago.  It looks much redder than it actually is in the photo on the right, so I've added a close-up taken in daylight. My cardigan, to which I pinned a vintage Bambi brooch, is King Louie by way of a charity shop.

One advantage of the daylight shuffle are the gorgeous sunsets I get to experience at the office. My phone's camera has been doing overtime catching all these gloriously coloured skyscapes.



We did another indoor photo session that week and although at least my outfit colours show up marginally better here, my face is a ghostly shade of white. But never mind, it's all about the clothes, isn't it?


The blue embroidered corduroy skirt, orange cardigan and chocolate brown belt were all charity shopped, while I found the brooch in an antiques centre in Shrewsbury. The vintage satiny black floral blouse was a fairly recent Think Twice find. This was one of my trial and error separates outfits, and I loved it so much that I'll definitely be wearing it again.


Another day, another lunchtime walk, this time taking me to the shops! 

On the top, left and right, is Dries Van Noten's beautiful flagship store, based in a sumptuous corner building still displaying the shop's original name, Het Modepaleis, which translates as Fashion Palace. Originally built in the late 19th century, it received its current neo-classical look in the early 20th century. Sheila, I photographed this especially for you!

On the bottom left is one of the sculptures guarding the entrance of a well known Antwerp department store, while on the bottom right is a famous old shop specializing in gloves!  They started trading in 1884 and the art deco building they are housed in was custom built for them in 1929. The building is listed and still has its original shop interior.


Obviously, my actual shopping trip didn't take me to any of these.

As there was yet another sale at Think Twice, this was where I was headed. The day when everything is € 4 is my favourite, as there's still quite a bit of choice, with even some new arrivals thrown in. As prices go down even further, the shop descends into chaos in spite of the salespersons' efforts to keep everything in check.

Here are some of the items I found and which Angelica is only too glad to model for you, starting with a black flower pot print midi dress in a wool/polyester blend. It is labelled "Pat Patty tricot", which unfortunately I couldn't find anything about.


This midnight blue shirt dress with its busy multi-colour flower print and self-fabric buttons is handmade and fully lined.


A watercolour flower print in orangey reds mingled with cream makes this floaty chiffon dress a perfect pick-me-up for a dull day.


And finally, a Crimplene maxi with the funkiest of prints and accordion pleated butterfly sleeves!


Well, that is it for now. Yesterday I waved goodbye to the office for a week, as we're going on a little break. I can't say I will miss it, not even the late afternoon sun's shadowplay of our building's windows on Antwerp's skyscraper opposite.

There will be some radio silence from me, but I'll be back to comment on your lovely blogs next weekend.

See you on the other side!


31 comments:

  1. I really like that striped dress you wore, and that pretty orangey-red one you bought! :)

    I find photos in winter a struggle too - it's so dark in the mornings and at night when I leave! I need to try master indoor photography!

    Hope that you are having a great weekend! We went for our annual family Christmas photo with Santa yesterday, with two kids and a dog it didn't quite go as planned, ha!

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can imagine the shenanigans going on during that photo shoot ;-))

      Delete
  2. I hope you have a nice week away and the weather is kind.
    I especially like your orange dress, and the maxi. Both will brighten the darkest of days. I purchased an orange jumper yesterday to inject some much needed cheer to the season.
    I think we should do away with daylight 'saving' too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel and I agree that orange is the perfect pick-me-up in these dark days! xxx

      Delete
  3. I hope you will enjoy your little break. As always, beautiful outfits...love the dark printed dress paired with a vibrant cardi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the second floral look is wonderful...The blue gloves and belt are quite stylish too too.
      I know what you mean with indoor photographs. I struggle to make them work too. Artificial light rarely results in good photos, unless it is some kind of professional lighting.
      That printed maxi is divine!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ivana! I'd love to have a little corner I could turn into a semi-professional photo studio, but alas, Dove Cottage is far too small! xxx

      Delete
  4. for people who live in the natur and with her, time is relative: starting and ending the day with the sun - like chickens ;-D
    fab new dresses! and i love that old stores - so much beauty!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll tell my boss that, but I'm not sure whether he's going to like that! xxx

      Delete
  5. I have respect for people -- like you -- who know the real meaning of "penultimate."

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful outfits, Ann! It always makes me feel happy to see all of your colourful separates, dresses and accessories. I especially like that corduroy skirt: it's exactly what I was looking for a while back, but never found! ;) Love the Bambi brooch too! Hope you have a lovely getaway and a wonderful week ahead, Ann! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha, I'm back already by now, it just went by far too fast. I'd been looking for a cord skirt too, and already succumbed to a retail buy, and then I found two in second-hand shops! xxx

      Delete
  7. So many great prints and patterns.
    I agree about the daylight savings.. we should all do away with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always difficult to take clear/bright shots in winter if you're leaving for work in darkness and returning home in the same. Plus photos in artificial light rarely come out good anyway. In winter, even though I had the indoor lights on, I always tried to stand near large windows to get as much natural light as possible - it sort of balances the harsh artificial lighting a bit.

    I agree with you about daylight savings, but apparently it's suppose to assist farmers and the agricultural industries.

    Anyway onto your lovely dresses - my favourites are the amazing floral skirt with coral blouse. I also like the orange/red chiffon dress (perfect for a formal function), the floral shirt dress and of course that stupendous crimplene maxi is right up my alley. Your tweed jacket is such a classic and obviously a piece you'll be able to wear year after year. The beautiful brooches, gloves and berets always finish off your outfits to perfection.

    Thankyou for the shots of the Het Modepaleis and the store specializing in gloves. Wish I was there to have a wander inside. Those evening skyscraper shots are beautiful too.

    Enjoy your holiday, hope the sun shines for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to struggle on with my indoor photos until Spring, I suppose, as soon there won't be any daylight in the morning or at night. Or I suppose I could do a photo-shoot with all my planned outfits during the weekend :-))) xxx

      Delete
  9. Ann, I love your thinking behind each outfit, such as the triangle belt to match the triangle shapes of the dress and the flower outfit matching the vibrant day. You scored some wonderful finds! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jess. I know, I'm a perfectionist, so everything has got to be just right :-) xxx

      Delete
  10. Gah! These dark days are the bane of bloggers the world over.
    You've done a cracking job on photographing your gorgeous outfits despite the seasonal challenges.
    Love the amazing pattern matching skills displayed in outfit number 2, the groovy go print on the green dress and your King Louis find accessorised with turquoise, an inspirational mix.
    Your newly found frocks are fabulous especially the pot plant print!
    How gorgeous is the exterior of Dries Van Noten's shop? If you're going to shop high end it makes perfect sense to use a wonderfully classy building like that one rather than some hideous breezeblock shopping mall.
    Have an absolutely brilliant break, Ann & Jos! Can't wait to read all about it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vix. Outfit no. 2 was my favourite! And I already wore to pot plant print last weekend. I love that building the Dries Van Noten shop is in, but the prices in his shop window do make my eyes water ;-) xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh, I am with you on the bloody dark days! My mornings are okay right now (fingers crossed) as I've figured out how to adjust my camera to the correct lighting, but evenings are dark, dark, dark.

    Love your wonderful outfits, and oh! You were thinking of me! There's Dries' shop! How cool, thank you, my dear!

    I am in love with your two pop-art patterned dresses, especially that wonderful maxi!

    Enjoy your break, and don't worry about us! Happy week, Ann and Jos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you when I pass that shop, which is often as it's just around the corner of the vintage per kilo shop :-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh where is my comment?!
    Wow these sunsets are amazing. If I come to Antwerpen I would like to do some thrift shopping with you Ann.;)
    So many wonderful dresses!
    A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hate disappearing comments, but they do happen sometimes, don't they? And yes, of course we'll do some thrift shopping together if you come to Antwerp. It would be my pleasure! xxx

      Delete
  13. That flowerpot print dress and the crimplene maxi are both wonderful. It's going to be great seeing how you style them.

    Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim. I've still got to wear the Crimplene maxi, but the flowerpot dress with feature here (and on IG) soon, as I wore it last weekend! xxx

      Delete
  14. I totally agree that putting back/forward clocks is a total nonsense and it makes me feel a physical discomfort. But I've learnt to manage it and the autumn switch is not as bad as the spring one!.
    Love your triangles dress and love the perfect combo of your floral skirt and shirt and those magnificent colors and matchy accessories!
    Taking pics indoors is not an easy task and you've done a good job, I like your collages!. I take my pics in my lunchtime, but my usual garage alley has nothing to do with those decó buildings, they are so beautiful!.
    And also love your new floral dresses, the orangey red one and that fabulous maxi with the groovy print!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the Spring one is even worse, I agree! I'd take my outfit photos during lunch break if I had a photographer at the ready ;-) xxx

      Delete
  15. Oo some great Think Twice buys there! I hope you are having a wonderful holiday, with lots of outfit changes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, unfortunately most of the outfit photos taken during our little holiday featured coats! So glad I took three coats with me ... xxx

      Delete