Saturday 15 June 2019

The joys of second hand shopping

In the week after our mini heatwave, temperatures plummeted considerably, and we were back to what passes for Spring in this part of the world. In other words, we were treated to rain, sunny spells and thunderstorms, more often than not all within one day.

On Saturday before last (yes , I know, I'm lagging behind again), the weather was quite stormy.

A gale force wind put paid to any walks in the park, as they were all closed for safety reasons.


I plucked this half-forgotten frock from my wardrobe. Strictly speaking, I didn't actually forget about it, but I'd mentally put it into the "to be tried one more time" pile, as it was a bit tight in the chest area, which caused some gaping. As it fit me perfectly otherwise, I managed to solve the problem by adding a press stud between the first and second button.

Some kind of outerwear was needed, so I wore my Lilli Ann Knits coat on top. I love this coat to bits but I'm trying to wear it only sparingly as it's not in the best of conditions, with lots of loose threads which seem to multiply with every wear.


I thought its chartreuse, white and navy plaid worked well with the dress's higgledy piggledy stripey print featuring forest green, turquoise and yellow. Judging from its condition and that of its label (it's made in England, by Leygil London) I don't think it was ever worn. 

The dress buttons all the way through with forest green buttons and I added a belt in the same shade of green. To tie in with the yellow, I added a yellow, orange and white beaded necklace, while the turquoise bits were matched by my chunky turquoise ring.



While I was sitting here in the garden, in the calm after the storm, I suddenly remembered I had yet to show you my Think Twice bargains of the week before. Well, I did mention a bagful of bargains in my previous post, didn't I?



I will be putting this chocolate brown floral maxi skirt away for Autumn, as it's a heavy, lined Crimplene. On the other hand, I could very well be taking it with me to Shropshire, as I've been hearing tales of dire weather conditions.

The 1970s shirt, with its dagger collar and purple buttons has the funkiest of prints featuring coffee pots, cups and old-fashioned coffee grinders! How is that for a pick-me-up?


I'm hoping to wear this floaty Trevira number with its blowsy flower print and frilly butterfly sleeves as soon as it gets warmer again. 

But then again, it will be a toss up between this one and the cotton deckchair striped Summer dress I picked up at the same time. Double breasted and with a wide notched collar and a half belt at the back, it is a true classic. Its label says Jan Sue of California. 



Oh, the joys of second hand shopping! You never know what you'll find, which makes it exciting, you won't end up looking like everyone else and you're making a statement against fast fashion, all at the same time.

Are you participating in Slow Fashion Season? You can sign up here. The idea is that 10000 people commit to not buying new clothes from 21st June - 21st September to raise awareness to the fact that fast fashion is one of the most polluting industries in the world.

There's just 6 days left to register: just click on the link, enter your email address and click Take Part. It's easy peasy, so just do it. At the time of writing, over 9700 people have taken the pledge. Oh, and second hand shopping is allowed! And it so much more fun, too! 


And that's what we did to defy the weather last Saturday. If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that Saturday usually is our charity shopping day. Even if we come back empty handed, which happens from time to time, the thrill of the chase never pales.

This time, we found a mini picnic basket, which - surprise! - I'll be using as a handbag, several scarves, a yellow belt and a hand-painted wooden souvenir plate depicting the Basilica of the Holy Blood in Bruges.


One of the scarves is a souvenir too. I was drawn to its vivid colours and the image of the shuttered window with its box full of geraniums at its centre. I'd seen the name Tirol, but it was only when I looked at it more properly at home that I realised it's a souvenir from the Winter Olympics held in Innsbruck. Some googling revealed that the last one was in 1976, but there was another one there in 1964 as well. My guess is that it is from the former.


At another shop, I ended up trying on an armful of clothes, which all came home with me, as did the necklace I'm wearing below.

The skirt and blouse are both from Belgian label Wow To Go, while the cropped cardigan is from Zoe Loveborn, a brand which used to be sold at a local chain of shops. I've got quite a few of their cardigans, all bought second hand over the years.


This short, cobalt blue raincoat was also part of my catch. It's from Vero Moda, and will be a welcome addition to my travel wardrobe. I thought my Tirolean scarf looked just perfect with it.


Heading back from the fitting rooms, and walking past the rail of dresses, a flash of colour caught my eye. 

This groovy wrap dress is from H&M. It must be well over 10 years old and I remember it vividly, as I used to own it dress in a different - much more sedate - colourway. I almost instantly regretted not getting this colourful version, but never went back for it. 

I no longer have my other dress, as I donated it to charity when it no longer fit me, and I obviously wasted no time in making this one mine!



All I'm wearing in these two outfits, as well as two long-sleeved tops which I've added to my travel wardrobe, cost me the princely sum of € 25. Yes, that includes the raincoat!

If you haven't done it before, browsing charity shops for your fashion fix might seem a bit daunting at first. But persevere, and you will be rewarded. Don't be put off, if at first you find it a bit overwhelming and you don't seem to find anything you like. Don't go shopping with a list, but keep an open mind, and dare to step out of your comfort zone once in a while. 



Once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back to retail. But that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Happy hunting!



51 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad to see you've joined the gang. We're nearly there now!!
    Another downpour today - I think you need to pack all those gorgeous clothes!
    What a magnificent collection. Love you in that cobalt blue mac, not a colour I see you in very often and it looks wonderful. I knew that dress was California as soon as I saw it. Love the coffee pot print and that green coat especially! That swirly dress is incredible.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend - counting the days till next Sunday! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad as anything that we won’t be there. Have a wonderful time xxx

      Delete
    2. @Vix: I'm taking the cobalt blue mac, so you might get to see it, though I hope not! Can't believe it's less than two days now ... xxx
      @Lynn: Same here, we'l have to do better next year! xxx

      Delete
  2. There aren't many newly bought things in my wardrobe. Of course, I'm joining in right away. :-) Enjoy the weekend. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ann I am in love with this wonderful coloured striped dress. And this blue cardigan...and this skirt.... and dress.... you find so much amazing second hand clothes. You have the perfect measures. For me its very difficult to find gool stuff. But I am looking for second hand jewelry and bags. A few times I had luck and found clothes on ebay.
    I wish you a great weekend, with a huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really impressed that you decided to join after all, Tina! I'm sure you would be able to find loads of things at Think Twice or the charity shops here in Belgium! xxx

      Delete
  4. That's the fun thing with pre loved. I just bought a dress I had 10 years ago! I love all your purchases especially the skirt and top and the first dress you are wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! It's not the first time I buy something I had many years before ... xxx

      Delete
  5. I find retail so boring now! It's all the same and all so poorly made! I adore all your amazing finds - that Jan Sue dress is STUNNING! I would have bought that in a heartbeat! I love your fun dress/coat combo in the first outfit, and that funky H&M print is awesome. We get lots of Vero Moda over here too!

    Happy weekend to you, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Sheila! Retail shopping isn't exciting at all, I absolutely abhor seeing rail after rail of the same stuff. xxx

      Delete
  6. As usual, you have uncovered some real treasures in your thrifting missions! I especially love the H&M dress and the Wow to Go skirt and blouse with the Zoe Loveborn cardigan! But I also liked the other things as well.

    Thanks for the link for the Slow Fashion Season! I'm all signed up and ready to do my part to impact fast fashion!

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for signing up, Sherry! And for your lovely comment, obviously! xxx

      Delete
  7. have the same tirol scarf!!!
    and the thing looks perfect with your new blue coat! love the first look with the cool knit coat and the chic dress - gorgeous detailing - but the striped californian dress made me squeal with delight!!! the fabric! the cut!! <3
    lately i talked with a friend about the challenge - she laughed and said "thats easy - do it anyway".... who are all the masses who buy fast fashion on a daily basis??? i seem to know none of them......
    hugsies! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I was actually thinking of you when I found that Tirol scarf? So I am not at all surprised that you have the same one! xxx

      Delete
  8. So many gorgeous outfits, Ann! I love the first dress and it looks extra fab with that coat. That shirt with the coffee pots is so cool! What a fun find! I also love the groovy dress and your cobalt blue coat. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead, Ann! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! I hadn't even noticed the print featured coffee pots. I just loved its colours and general grooviness. It was when I was about to describe the print for my post that I noticed ... xxx

      Delete
  9. I love all your outfits! You have a great eye for colour and style in your charity shop shopping! I love the deckchair striped dress, can't wait to see you in it! I will definitely sign up for the challenge. We have lots of charity shops locally and I have found some great bargains there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love that bright H&M dress at the end! Isn't it funny how you can find similar pieces years later? I came across what I am sure is the very same kimono I donated a few years ago in an opshop last year. Same size and everything! I was briefly tempted to buy it again...ha!

    the nothing new challenge is a good one to have but I'm not signing up - I have gift cards from Christmas still to spend and June is usually when sales happen, I'm crossing my fingers I find a pair of boots to replace my broken pair :) I've never ever found shoes in my size in a second hand shop!

    Hope that you're having a wonderful weekend :)



    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! Whenever I see something at the charity shop which I know I've donated, I'm tempted to buy it again. xxx

      Delete
  11. love all the item you brought!! i loved this post! that last dress is super pretty!

    Jadieegosh   Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, that deckchair striped dress! You really do find some amazing things. I can't wait to see all the ways to accessorise it.

    I have given in and joined in slow fashion season, with the caveat that I'm only applying it to myself, not to Pete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you've joined! Acutually, I'm also only applying it to myself, as Jos needs new underwear, which he'll buy at M&S when we're in the UK. xxx

      Delete
  13. Your Lilli Ann coat jumped right out at me as did that stunning striped summer dress. I don’t know how you find such beauties. You are a star.
    I’m heartbroken that we won’t be with you next weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn! It does help to have 4 Think Twice shops within walking distance from my office. A girl needs to do something on her lunch breaks! Oh, and we're absolutely gutted as well. Secretly keeping my fingers crossed that a miracle will happen and we're able to meet after all! xxx

      Delete
  14. I agree that the thrill of the secondhand hunt is exhilarating.

    I've signed onto the challenge.

    Your newest secondhand treasures never fail to impress me. The print on that blouse is so groovy! That blue trench is gorgeous on you.

    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! The coat has been packed into my suitcase. I've also been following your advice and packed quite a few pairs of shoes. xxx

      Delete
  15. How funny that you found your old dress in a different colour! I am always amused in charity shops when I come across items I used to, or already, own. One of my hobbies is tracking down pairs of shoes on Ebay that I used to have and wore until they fell apart.

    Some fabulous purchases, you really are a pro at secondhand shopping!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I've no idea why I initially went for the other version, which was off-white with swirls and greys and browns, if I remember correctly. My taste has definitely changed over the years! xxx

      Delete
  16. That first dress is so pretty, and such a great vintsge find. It looks as it has never been worn too. I like the coat you paired with it, very chic.
    As always, your second hand finds are fab. I just love that scarf. Great you signed up for slow fashion season too.Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, where to start? Well, firstly I don't believe I've ever heard of a park closing here because the weather is too bad.That's a first for me!

    The first dress is lovely and looks very elegant on you. I hate that gape thing and it happens a lot I find. One of the disadvantages of being well endowed in the chest department!

    I loved all your new to you purchases; but my absolute favourite is the deck chair striped dress. The new cobalt blue raincoat which is fab would look lovely with it too. Loved your picnic basket handbag and those lovely scarves.

    I also loved how you included some beautiful photos of plants in toning colours in your collages - you clever thing you!

    Hope your weather is settling down. We had the first rain free day in a week today - and some sunshine!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that your parks do not close in stormy weather, it does happen regularly here. I'm so pleased you noticed my colour coordinated outfits and flower photos! xxx

      Delete
  18. I love your posts. So full of color! The Lilli Ann plaid coat is fab. When I get a button front dress or top that is too tight in the chest I wear a cami and then keep it unbuttoned in the "problem" area so the cami shows beneath. Or I tie a scarf in front to hide where it pulls. Our weather here in Massachusetts has been really all over the place too, one day cold and rainy, next day hot and sunny. Summer is trying to kick in, but not quite making it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa! Thank you too for the tips on how to solve the gaping problem. I think the scarf tip will definitely be used. I have a pussy bow blouse with the same problems, but it's cleverly hidden by the bow! xxx

      Delete
  19. I've signed up to the Slow Fashion Season too! As you know I'm already sold on the joys of second hand but I do still buy new once in a while, although new purchases are waning in favour of second hand more and more these days. I have bought a few new items this month but I think they'll be good buys that'll last.
    What a stunner your stripe dress is! And I very much like the skirt too, the buttons seal the deal!
    I hope the weather is good for you in Shropshire, we have had some sunshine but it's very changeable.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely that you signed up as well, Hazel, and yes, I've definitely noticed you are buying more and more pre-loved stuff. Well done! xxx

      Delete
  20. I absolutely love your deckchair striped dress Ann, it's stunning.
    The way things are looking, I would definitely bring a raincoat when you come for your holiday, the blue waist length one you've modelled looks fab, perfect for summer showers, so every cloud has a silver lining. I hope it picks up before then though. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! I actually packed not one but two raincoats. I'm also brining two umbrellas. Let's hope I won't need either of them too much! xxx

      Delete
  21. I forgot to say...that scarf is such a match made in heaven with that blue coat...and the dress from H&M is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ivana! It's so lovely to receive your comments! xxx

      Delete
  22. So many great finds! I must say, "Wow to Go" is one of the best label names I've ever heard.

    Lili Ann is so sought after these days. You have one of the nicest examples I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree, it's a fab label name. But sadly it didn't help them as I've just read they went bust a couple of days ago .. xxx

      Delete
  23. Oh very cute the first outfit darling
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. woww, once more I'm totally in love with your outfits!. That dress with the plaid coat looks absolutely stunning! (love a degradé print!). And I'm also admiring your purchases, love the floral dress with butterfly sleeves, but the (oh my goodness!) striped summer dress has made my heart beat faster!, fabulous shape and fabulous colors!!!
    Lovely skirt and blouse too and lovely raincoat in a gorgeous color!, and obviously, I love the colorful wrap dress!, it's magnificent and you look fab in it!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica! I was looking for the right word to describe the print of that dress, but you've got it spot on: a degradé print! Thank you for broadening my vocabulary. Oh, and I simply cannot resist a butterfly sleeve! xxx

      Delete
  25. Hydrageas are one of my favourites Ann.Lots of great finds featured again, I love the stripe dress in the middle of the post. I look forward to seeing it on. I would love to commit to the slow fashion but work doesn't permit. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! Hydrangeas are definitely one of my favourites as well. I do wish I had space for another one! xxx

      Delete