Saturday 4 May 2019

Counting daisies

Sunshine was spotlighting our little table when we entered our B&B's breakfast room on Wednesday morning.

Homemade apple and rhubarb juice kick-started a breakfast featuring smooth yogurt and fruit salad, followed by a choice of breads, smoked salmon, and a selection of  local cheeses and meats.

Those with a sweet tooth can sample mini croissants, chocolate buns or raisin rolls. And then there are Veronique's delectable homemade jams, which are also for sale. I'm not much of a jam girl, but Jos bought no less than four different flavours to take home.

After indulging in all these delicious breakfast delicacies, washed down by copious cups of coffee, it was time to depart for our destination of the day.


The sun was out in full force so it was a perfect day for a walk. 

Less than half an hour's drive away, and to the north-east of Bruges, lies a charming little town called Damme.

It is linked directly to Bruges by a perfectly straight canal, the Damse Vaart (Damme Canal), which is one of the most enchanting pieces of nature in Belgium. The canal is lined with magnificent poplars, some of which are over 100 years old, their wind-twisted trunks adding greatly to the charm of the setting.



We left our car in one of the car parks on the edge of the town, on the south side of the canal, where we were instantly blown away by the magical landscape we were faced with. I did a little bit of a double take here ...

We were almost literally blown away too, as a strong, gusty wind was rustling through the trees, almost making off with Jos's straw trilby and depositing it in the canal, so that he swiftly exchanged it for a flat cap.


On the opposite side of the canal, a whitewashed cottage and a majestic windmill could be glimpsed through the reeds.

The walk I'd downloaded took us on a quiet tree-lined path along the 17th Century town ramparts and  moat, the whispering leaves creating a soothing soundtrack. 


We took our time taking in the sights and sounds of nature, encountering a fair amount of wildlife along the way: a cormorant drying its wings after a bout of fishing, a moorhen and her hungry chicks in an island nest of reeds and twigs, a storks nest high up on a pole ... 

Wait ... storks nest? Jos spotted this when a view to the town's church opened up between the trees. After rapturously staring at it, the two birds still in the same position as when we first laid eyes on them, we decided they weren't real. They couldn't be, could they? 

We continued our walk, glancing backwards a couple of times, when Jos suddenly noticed one of the birds was now sitting down in the nest! So, they were real after all!


The church, the tower of which had already revealed itself through the trees, is the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (Church of Our Lady), and the town's absolute must-see. 

The church, with its characteristic flat tower, was built in 1225 in the so-called Scheldt Gothic style, which is Romanesque with Gothic elements. During the 14th Century, the church was further expanded and embellished, the golden age of Damme reflected in the scale of the church ,which gradually began to take on the air of a cathedral. Still, the decline had already begun before the last expansion works were completed.

The three-faced sculpture on the bottom left is in a prominent place in the church's courtyard. It is called View of Light and is the work of the Belgian sculptor Charles Delporte (1928–2012).


The inside of the church is equally impressive. Above the nave pillars, rare wooden statues of apostles have survived the 16th Century Iconoclasm, but being so high up, they were hard to photograph satisfactorily, so I snapped some bits and pieces which appealed to me instead.

I was rather taken by the religious tableaux under glass, with the houseplant behind it, which would have been quite at home at Dove Cottage. Obviously, I would have used a more imaginative pot!


Proceeding our way into the town, which is little more than a village with a single main street and square, it was Jos again who spotted this stork nesting upon the chimney of St-Johns Hospital, one of Damme's oldest buildings, founded in 1249.

A few decades ago, the stork  as a breeding bird was almost extinct around these parts. An initiative in the Zwin nature reserve (a silted up tidal area further along on the coast) to re-introduce them proved to be successful, so much so that each Spring these birds can be admired in Damme.

Storks seem to feel quite at home here. They find suitable food in the many meadows. While you often see storks foraging on newly mown grassland in Damme, they are not averse to knocking on people’s doors and begging for food either!


After lunch, we strolled through the town, abandoning our original itinerary, and making up our own, aided by a town trail picked up at the tourist information office.

Damme's rich and turbulent history stretches back to the 12th Century when, after a storm surge which ravaged the North Sea coast in 1134, the channel that linked Bruges to the sea silted up, creating a tidal creek, later to be known as the Zwin. The dykes on the right and left banks of the Zwin were connected, creating a dam, and a fishing village called "Ten Damme" was established.

Philip of Alsace, Count of Flanders, realized the maritime advantages of this little port and in 1180 granted city rights to Damme. Meanwhile, a canal was dug from Bruges to Damme, and the town quickly turned into a dynamic transhipment port.



The town hall remains as a token to the earlier economic strength of Damme. Built in 1464-68, it is an excellent example of late Gothic architecture.

The stone figures on the façade represent Philip of Alsace, Johanna and Margaret of Constantinople, Philip of Thiette, Charles the Bold and Margaret of York.

Fronting the town hall is a statue of the 13th-Century Flemish poet Jacob Van Maerlant, who lived in the town.


While I was climbing the town hall steps for a better view of the intricate statues and gargoyles, Jos rested his feet sitting on a circular stone bench in the square.

I was wearing one of my floral Diolens, in a favourite colour combo of navy, green and white. The weather remained indecisive all day, with the sun regularly playing hide and seek, and I kept my denim jacket on for most of the day. This time, for a change, I pinned an orange felted flower to it.


The town trail then directed us across the canal, where we followed a country lane towards a small nature reserve, called the Schaapskooi (Sheep's Pen), where the town ramparts have been partly reconstructed. Along the footpath through the reserve, you can learn about Damme's military history as well as archaeological research, while enjoying the precious nature around it.



The grassland, where a small herd of donkeys peacefully grazed, was a veritable carpet of daisies.

These were such a joy to behold that I couldn't help but sit down among them. I only have to look at this photo and feel totally relaxed. I'll be using this as my screensaver at work!


Then I even went one step further and ... aah!  Meanwhile, I could feel those donkeys' eyes on me.


After our circuit of the reserve, we retraced our steps to where we'd crossed the canal, but continued onwards instead of recrossing it.

Accompanied by a darkening sky, we made our way toward that mill we'd seen at the start of our walk.

This is the Schellemolen (molen is the Flemish word for mill), built in 1867 on the foundations of an old wooden mill. 



There is no ordinary wind vane on top of the mill: a mermaid - no less - indicates the wind direction here! She even has a name, Cassandra, and legend has it that she drowned in a well in a nearby village.

Talking of legends, Damme is the setting of the legendary 14th Century prankster, Tijl Uilenspiegel, protagonist of the eponymous book by author Charles De Coster, and published in 1867.



This group of sculptures, which we encountered on our way back to the car, was erected in 1979 to celebrate the first centenary of the death of Tijl Uilenspiegel's literary father.

If you look closely, you can see a droplet of water hanging from the donkey's chin. After we visited the mill, we were just in time to dive into a tearoom, before the sluices of heaven were opened.

But never mind, we indulged in a cup of coffee with a bunny cake while it lasted.

Linking my outfit to Nancy's Fancy Friday!

42 comments:

  1. That really was a wonderful break. I loved the scenery, buildings, sculptures, flora and fauna and the breakfast sounded delicious!

    You were in perfect harmony with that field of daisies I can tell...

    Re your nesting storks we had a similar experience on our recent bus tour of Dublin. On the drive up to the president of Ireland's house in Phoenix Park, we saw a herd of dear apparently grazing; BUT they were so still and I didn't think real deer would graze so close to human beings; I dismissed them as fakes. On the return drive I was proved wrong as they were moving around...

    Hope your weekend is going well.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica! Love the deer anecdote! xxx

      Delete
  2. I have a rather determined robin that will sit by my patio until I bring out a bowl of raisins-but if a stork knocked at my door I'd probably think I was losing my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would too, Goody. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you're feeling better soon! xxx

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying traveling along in your travels, Ann! That photo of you sitting amongst the daisies had the same effect on me--I noticed my breathing slowed and a smile warmed my face. What is it about those tiny little flowers that bring such peace?

    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! For me, it's definitely a childhood thing, as they remind me of daisy chains and the he-loves-me, he-loves-me-not game! xxx

      Delete
  4. The breakfast at this bed&breakfast looks yummy indeed. The whole area is so beautiful. That church is wonderful...and the nature is so green. That's why I love spring. Everything is so green. How lovely that storks feel at home there. I love storks. Sometimes I see them, when we go to nature park Hutovo Blato in vicinity. There are all kinds of birds there. I always spot birds on my walks. It could be because I like them. I've also notice that when you hang out in a certain park or area long enough, the birds get used to you and then they 'show' themselves on purpose.
    Donkey are charming animals, aren't they? They can be very curious too. I have no doubt they were looking at you while you sat at that daisy field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana, I can see that you love nature and wildlife as much as I do. Spring is definitely my favourite season, closely followed by Autumn! xxx

      Delete
  5. That breakfast looks incredible! That's one of the things I love most about travelling:eating delicious food prepared by someone else! ;) Such beautiful photos of the stunning scenery and architecture. I love the photos of you relaxing among the daisies! Pure bliss! Hope you're having a great weekend, Ann! ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Sasha, an no clearing up/washing up/cleaning whatsoever ;-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Reading about your breakfast has made me hungry! Off to make a cuppa! Loved your photos - fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz, hope you enjoyed your cuppa! xxx

      Delete
  7. We keep promising ourselves a Bruges mini break, my sister loves it and has sold it to us. Your photography and descriptions of your holiday confirm its charm!
    The one of you lying in the daisy meadow looks so relaxing :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say, yes, do come to Bruges. I'm including a little promotion video in my next post ;-) If you ever decide to take the plunge, do let me know and we can arrange a meet-up! xxx

      Delete
  8. woww, what a lovely place to visit!, thanks for sharing your pictures with us, it's so beautiful!
    Lovely landscapes and lovely gothic buildings!
    And storks were also nearly extincted here some decades ago but, after years of being protected, they're almost everywhere now (even becoming a plague as they nest on old roofs and cause lots of problems). I have to take pics of them!
    Love the pictures of you lying on the daisies, it looks like Spring itself blooming around you! and you look gorgeous!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see pictures of "your" storks, Monica! They're definitely not a plague here yet, and are welcomed with open arms after years of absence! xxx

      Delete
  9. How wonderful to see so many storks! Though I would be alarmed if one came to the door. I just did a quick search - we don't have them in the UK, 20 pairs come for a visit each year with their migration, but the last breeding pair was in the year 1416?! Apparently some charity is trying to reintroduce them in Sussex, so maybe one day we'll get to see them in the UK again! I love the photos of you among the daisies, your frock blends in. What a lovely day's adventure! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would I, Sarah! I'm surprised to read the last breeding pair was in 1416! That seems incredible! I do hope the re-introduction program succeeds! xxx

      Delete
  10. What wonderful photos and travelogue, I can feel my pulse slowing down just gazing at your photos.
    Love that photo of you amongst the daisies, nice one Jos! The scene with the windmill is just magical.
    I see storks in India but never as close as you were. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix! I really felt compelled to lie down among the daisies! Maybe I should do a painting effect on that photo ;-) xxx

      Delete
  11. I love seeing all these pictures! Such a gorgeous place, and how interesting that the storks were so successfully reintroduced. I think the pic of you laying down in the daisies is my favourite. That's what I'd use as my background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Seeing that pic of my laying down in the daisies as my background might be a bit too relaxing and make me nod off ... xxx

      Delete
  12. you amongst the daisies is such a cute photo!!!!
    damme looks very picturesque - and you with the flowery frock make a nice contrast to the old stones :-D
    thankfully there is always a café when it starts to rain!
    hugsies! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beate! It could have starting raining while I was sitting among the daisies, with no café in sight ;-) xxx

      Delete
    2. but it has´t - the universe is good!
      :-D
      <3

      Delete
  13. Oh you sit in so many daisies, what a cute picture!
    So many wonderful pics, thank you so much for traveling with you :) I wish to travel to Brügge sometimes ;)
    The breakfast and bunny cake looks so delicous!
    A very huge hug Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should come to Bruges, Tina, and Damme is quite close by as well. I thought the bunny cake was too cute to eat ... xxx

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the tour of beautiful Bruges Ann. I would like to visit some time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! Bruges is well worth a visit! xxx

      Delete
  15. That photo of you in the field of daisies is fantastic!

    I think I need to start visiting great little B&Bs like you've found...the breakfast is fit for a king.

    Thanks for sharing your travel photos. They are a five minute getaway for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have provided you a five minute getaway, Suzanne! xxx

      Delete
  16. Such a lovely place perfect for chilling out.

    Only Yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  17. That bunny cake is excellent.

    Damme looks like a wonderful place. So pretty just to stroll around!

    Pete would LOVE it if he had storks coming to the door begging for food. Not sure the cats would be so pleased...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cake was excellent but a bit too cute to eat, as I kept feeling sorry for the thing! Not sure Phoebe would welcome storks either ... xxx

      Delete
  18. It seems to have been an amazing year for daisies. Those storks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I'd never seen so much daisies all in one place before! xxx

      Delete
  19. Another truly beautiful place. Imagine opening your door to a begging Stork! The daisies are beautiful, I'd have done the same!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hazel, those daisies were simple irresistible! xxx

      Delete