Wednesday 14 February 2018

Doppeltes Lottchen

Don't worry! In spite of the title, this post is not going to be in German. But do read on, all will soon be clear!

It was in Beate's Modish Matrons contribution back in January that my eye was caught by a gorgeous traditional cream cardigan she was wearing. I noticed its similarity with one of mine, and when I pointed this out to her, she hit upon the idea of doing twin posts!

How very exciting!

Das Doppelte Lottchen (freely translated as Double Lottie) is the title of a book by German author Erich Kästner published in 1949, about twin girls separated at birth who meet at summer camp. The phrase has since then become a common idiom in Germany, meaning a pair of girls with similar character and looks.



For a couple of weeks, we emailed back and forth, exchanging ideas on what to wear, and a posting date was set for early February.

Then, as a bolt out of the blue, Hurricane Friederike and two unprofessional tree fellers put Beate's life upside down, and plans were temporarily shelved.


But life goes on, and so do bloggers, no matter what, and as we both had our outfits picked out and hanging ready, we decided the time had come to show them to the world!

You can read fabulous Beate's post here

Having both our own distinctive styles, living in different countries, and never having even met in real life, isn't it uncanny how much like twins we look here?  



This is my version of the famous cardigan around which our outfits were built.
I had to dig mine out of the depths of my wardrobe, as in the reasonably mild temperatures we had been graced with until then, warm jumpers and heavy cardigans were a definite no-no for poor menopausal me.


Comparing notes on skirts, we opted for grey, even though mine has a black and white plaid pattern. Being 100% virgin wool and made in Germany, it could only meet Beate's full approval.

The skirt is very heavy and clearly made for colder climes and for girls not suffering from hot flushes!


Upon closer inspection, there are quite a few differences between the two cardigans. While Beate's gorgeous blue trimmed one has a round neckline and buttons all the way through, mine has a deep shawl neck and closes with only one button just above the red drawstring. Buttonless when I rescued it from a rail at Think Twice, I gave it a new lease of life by adding a red vintage button.

I'm wearing a mustard long-sleeved tee-shirt underneath and added a brooch with a red stone for modesty. Yes, I can hear you chuckling!


A suitable handbag was the next hurdle. I emailed a few examples and Beate's eye was caught by this faux croco bag, which incidentally is my current workday bag. 

Beate has the real thing, and as it was in need of an outing, the deal was soon struck.




Outerwear was easy, as we both own green fur-collared jackets and mustard berets.

To add even more punch, Beate chose a fabulous pair of hot pink leather gloves. I initially compromised with red leather gloves but substituted these with hot pink boiled wool ones after finding them in the January sales.



While I was digging out the cardigan, I happened upon another German-made wool cardigan, in red, with slightly puffed sleeves.


This one is round-necked like Beate's. I remember it had metal buttons when I bought it - yet again at Think Twice - but as one was missing and most of others weren't in the best condition, I replaced them with white vintage buttons from my stash, which I think are a definite improvement. 



Look at that lovely cable knit and diamond pattern and those gorgeous embroidered flowers. To my eye, they look like Gentian and Edelweiss, so I added my largest celluloid Edelweiss brooch to keep them company.



A bright blue beret and blue and white scarf, both charity shopped, were added for contrast.

There, I'm ready to tackle anything the weather gods decide to throw at us, including the imaginary snow storm we had in Belgium last Friday, causing lots of hilarity. People were urged to stay at home as about 3 centimeters (yes, really!) of snow had been predicted during morning rush hour. Of course, apart from some brief flurries in the afternoon, nothing happened ...

Now, I'm itching to pop over to Beate and read my twin's post, so off I go! Perhaps you would care to join me?

45 comments:

  1. How cool is that! You got me to click on your post with that title - so points to you.
    Heading over to Beate's now ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tami! Following you on Facebook now, as I can't comment on your blog since I'm not Google+ xxx

      Delete
  2. That's fantastic Ann, I see what you meant now! I love both of your outfits, you both look gorgeous.
    I like your red cardi too, it's red, how could I not!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, glad you liked it. Great minds and all that ;-) xxx

      Delete
  3. we never talked about the placement of the brooch - but look what we did! :-D
    i´m happy that we finally came together as doppeltes lottchen. and i totally love "our" look! i was thinking about to do the red/blue one too - but no blue beret nor scarf..... just a (industry made) red folksy cardi :-)
    did you stock up food - in case the next belgian blizzard hits??? ;-DDD
    much love from your german twin! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the brooch placement! It's a pity I didn't think to wear my "Bohemian" brooch. Yours is fantastic. We got wonderful comments, no? I seem to be picking up lots of German made stuff lately, by the way. Must be your influence! I hope you're keeping well, my German twin! Huge, huge hug xxx

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful idea! Love your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite twinning post ever!!! I adore you two, and was looking forward to your collab. Even with the similar items you managed to put together, each of you (as it is often the case with twins) has a distinct personality, and it reflects in your so similar, yet different outfits! Absolutely brilliant. I love the red cardigan too.

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Natalia! That's such a sweet comment! xxx

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful cardigan that is and how well you've both twinned it with matching garments! It's a lovely idea and maybe one that could run and run...

    I think replacing the buttons on your two cardigans was a great idea and they really look the business!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica! Maybe we should do another installment soon! I've got masses of buttons, and often replace buttons I don't like, which really makes a difference! xxx

      Delete
  7. I laughed over the snow warning about 3 cm of snow! That sounds like my town - we get all in a tizzy about snow.

    I love your double post (and thank you for the explanation about that German idiom, very cool), and both of these lovely vintagey looks. I appreciate that you paired up so many elements, and yet you both look highly individual and unique. Well done, lovely you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Now see what you've done: you've made me blush! xxx

      Delete
  8. You guys did such a great job of choosing vintage pieces from your own collections that worked so well.

    Those Belgians better never come over here. Even when we get a couple of feet of snow things keep ticking along.

    Sheila is right, when I lived in Victoria everything came to a stand-still when it snowed. They don't have the infrastructure to deal with it. It was hilarious for me coming from a province where 4 ft of snow at once wasn't a big deal.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belgium and snow: not such a great combo. But this time it was even worse: lots of panic over nothing! xxx

      Delete
  9. Such a fabulous post!, you rock, dear Ladies!, so amazing that you had so similar cardigans and that you managed to pick similar jackets and berets!, I'm in love with both outfits!
    It's always a good idea to replace buttons to refresh a look!, you did a great job!
    We have had some 'imaginary snow storms' last weeks, lots of warnings!. Lots of jokes too!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew, I'm glad we're not the only country with imaginary snowstorms ;-) So pleased you loved the twin posts! xxx

      Delete
  10. You and your twin both look fabulous, Ann! ;) This was such a fun post! I love your cardi & your faux croco bag too. Hope you have a relaxing weekend, Ann! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun! I love that you chose similar things. I must say though, that red cardigan is fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I should get around to wearing that red cardi more. But you know: hot flushes ;-) xxx

      Delete
  12. Oh what a lovely thing to do, a great blogger hook up! I love the cardigans you both wore and I adore that red one too. They all have that gorgeous Alpine feel to them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea with "doppeltes lottchen"! beates and your outfit are really beautiful. I love each detail!
    nice to meet you and your blog!
    :) mano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and comment, Mano! Will pop over to yours shortly! xxx

      Delete
  14. What a fabulous idea, I love both outfits, and I'm off to read Beate's post too!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! well I couldn't read it, but I did enjoy looking at her photographs :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Hazel, and I'm sorry about that, I should have warned you ;-) I do know just enough German to read Beate's posts, as well as some general chit-chat. xxx

      Delete
  15. Hach iit is such a wonderful idea. You both look stunning, like doppelte Lottchen :)
    I love your and Beates style so much :)
    XO from Thailand, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's brilliant that you and Beate both own the same cardi - just goes to show how much more hard wearing vintage clothes are compared to new stuff!
    You both look wonderful. I absolutely love your mock croc work bag and how good you look in a beret (unlike me!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix! I love berets, they're worth having Winter for ;-) xxx

      Delete
  17. You have indeed found a style twin! It's really interesting to see what I consider 'your' style on someone else. I am so in love with that Eidelweiss card, what a beauty! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cardies used to be easy to find at Think Twice but this year I haven't seen any. So glad I picked that one up in spite of the button problem ... ;-)

      Delete
  18. Such a fun post, you both look fantastic and your white cardi is so pretty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. A post that's twice as nice! It's fun to see you both styled up so similarly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super idea and you both look wonderful. Your mock croc bag is rather lovely. I'm off to Beate's also.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona! Hope you loved Beate's post too! xxx

      Delete
  21. Oh, how I loved that book as a kid! It use to make me cry! In English it was translated to "Lisa and Lottie", the twins' mother's name, Liselotte (not sure about the spelling, sorry), having been "shared" between the two girls. I do admire both of your cardies, of now to have a look at your twin's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you loved that book, and thanks for enlightening me about the English translation. I think Liselotte is spelled right ... xxx

      Delete
  22. WHat a brilliant idea this was!! The non-identical twin cardigans are really cute and detailed! The whole agreed out idea ties together so well!

    ReplyDelete