Sunday 5 February 2017

Time passes. Listen. Time passes.

Is that the time? Goodness me, it’s time to get out of my warm winter bed. No time for laziness, even though it’s Saturday!



Now, what shall I wear? I admit that this is one of the first things that pop into my mind. During the week, I have a rail of possible outfits put together in order to save time (there it is again!).










Not so on weekend days, when I love to throw open my wardrobe doors, and wait for inspiration to strike.













Breakfast time: back to the late 1960s, with this handpainted breakfast set by Belgian pottery Boch. We have several of their designs, but today we have opted for Bernadette. We even have a coffee pot to match. Ah, first cup of coffee of the day, to give it a kick start.


Shopping time! This is Dove Cottage’s version of a shopping list.


Dating from the 1930s, I fell in love with it after seeing it in BBC Homes and Antiques magazine back in 2005.




Imagine my delight when just a couple of months later, while on holiday, I unearthed this one in an antique shop in Lewes.



Although over the years we have collected quite a lot of kitchenalia, for which we both have a special fondness, this certainly remains one of our best finds ever.

On Saturday, there is no grocery shopping, though: this is all being done by Mr. S. while I'm at work, leaving our weekends free for another kind of shopping! Quite a luxury, no? What more could a working girl want?

Shopping means either visiting charity shops or, when there's a flea market on, that's where we head off to.








This is what came out of the wardrobe: a long-sleeved Crimplene dress, with a pussy bow and a zip at the front.


The pretty label says Shamrock, which I haven't been able to find out anything about.











Predominantly black, it has a kind of trellis pattern in white, against which red-hearted white flowers are growing.



I added a red cardigan with a ruffly collar, as well as red opaques.

The flower in my brooch almost matches the dress's flowers.


I continued the red theme with a belt with unusual square plastic buckle, a chunky red plastic ring and a watch with a red strap!










I wore the checked winter coat you've seen here before, adding a rich purple flower embroidered velvet scarf and a blue velvet beret.

The beret is a treasured vintage find, made in England, by Pauline for Bermona.










We were headed to an indoor flea market, which yielded a couple of nice surprises, but I will be showing you these in another post.

It took, however, until after we'd had lunch and another cup of coffee that we made our first purchase.


By the time we were ready to go home, it had started raining and we had to dash for our car which luckily wasn't parked too far away.

As we drove home, we passed the beautiful park, Den Brandt, where we snapped some foggy photos last month, looking quite differently in the pouring rain.


No stopping for a walk this time. Instead, it was straight back to Dove Cottage, where the ticking of clocks is a constant reminder of the passing of time.


Time passes. Listen. Time passes. (*)

It is hard to believe that on Saturday, it was twenty two years ago to the day that Mr. S. and I got married. Another reminder of the relentless passing of time!

(*) Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

26 comments:

  1. Firstly, happy anniversary to you both. Secondly, I really love your dress, it's beautiful ❤ Thirdly, how clever is that shopping list doo-dad! I've only ever seen them online before, I'm sure I would be tempted were I to see one in real life. I love your coffee set also. I don't drink coffee, but have a fondness for coffee sets xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie! I still can't get over how lucky I was to find the Household Wants Indicator. It's not in perfect conditions, but who cares? xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary! My goodness 22 years, can't imagine that, but then we're only just coming up to our second.
    Your little flower brooch is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel. I love your new profile picture, by the way! We can't believe it's 22 years, either. Time really does fly! xxx

      Delete
  3. herzlichen glückwunsch zum hochzeitstag!!
    <3
    22 years - wow! ok. - sometimes it feels like the BW and i are together since ages ;-) in fact its 10 years, 7 of them married.....
    love how you continued the "red with black&white" theme in your pictures!! and that big bow "from time to time"!!! totally fab!
    your breakfast table looks warm and inviting!
    huge hugs! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vielen Dank für die Glückwünsche, Beate! I'm sure you and the BW will get to 22 years and beyond! xxx

      Delete
  4. That household wants board is brilliant!! Amazing that you found it. Happy anniversary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary to you and Jos.

    Your Shamrock dress is fab.

    Your household indicator is fun - though now I'm wondering what on earth a 'Bathbrick' is. 'Beers, various' definitely gets my approval.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mim! You've probably googles 'Bathbrick' in the meantime, but in case you didn't: http://www.bridgwatertowncouncil.gov.uk/history/19th-century/bath-brick/
      Seems it wasn't made all too far from where you are! xxx

      Delete
  6. Happy aniversary, dear lady & hubbie!
    And I love your black&white dress, such a beautiful print, and such a cute brooch!. And your household indicator is just delightful!, a fav piece!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! The dress is a favourite I should wear more. xxx

      Delete
  7. Happy anniversary to you both!

    I love that household indicator, I'd love to find something like that for my kitchen. It's definitely going my 'to hunt out' list! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed it would be right up your street, Cate. Hope you'll come across one. xxx

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, but that's what I think of you too ;-) xxx

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary! How lovely is that Shamrock frock I love it. I have been reading Home and Antiques magazine since it began it's a great read isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gisela. I have been reading the magazine on and off since I discovered it while in the UK back in 1995. xxx

      Delete
  10. Time goes by very quickly indeed. You found the way to talk of it in your post and it's nice follow you during your day off ... Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated Happy Anniversary! All those beautiful old timepieces, and another gorgeous outfit, love the red accents too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! Jos is a little bit of a clock fanatic, and it has rubbed off on me! xxx

      Delete
  12. I am usually influenced by a colour or pattern or outfit I have seen that will determine what to wear.
    What I should do if I am in a rush is put my outfit together the night before so that I am not faffing in the morning.
    I love the breakfast set and your velvet scarf and your frock of course but I dont need my name putting on that one as I don't wear black. haha
    Lynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I put together the week's outfits during the weekend, Lynn. Glad I get to keep this frock at least ;-) xxx

      Delete
  13. Happy anniversary!
    I love seeing what you wear. I often do the same at the weekend- wait for inspiration to strike whereas on a week day, I set it out the night before!
    your outfit is so pretty, I love the red accents!
    LOVED hearing about a day in the life of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! I love seeing what you wear too! xxx

      Delete