Friday 15 April 2016

The Great Wardrobe Switch and other stories

Last weekend, I took a leaf out of a fellow blogger's book and had a serious decluttering session.

It’s that time of the year when, rather than spring cleaning, I’m having a wardrobe clear out, putting away most of my winter clothes and getting my summer clothes out of hibernation. 

In other words: time for the Great Wardrobe Switch. Ideally, this is taking place twice a year, in April and October, although in this part of the world it is difficult to pinpoint a date when to actually do this.  After all, it can still freeze in May, while October and even November can still bring some Indian summer days.


The Great Wardrobe Switch goes hand in hand with the Great Trying-On Session, which I think needs no explanation. 

There’s always a What Was I Thinking of? pile, most of which ends up being bagged up for the charity shop. 

Next up are the things which have become too snug or those which still fit perfectly but do not make me feel great. 
Again taking advice from a fellow blogger, to only keep and wear clothes you are feeling fabulous in, these are put aside, either for giving away or for selling.


The Great Wardrobe Switch is also a time to get reacquainted with my summer frocks, some of which I’m ashamed to admit I have completely forgotten about.

Here is a little taster ...



On Sunday, I took a little breather to soak up some much-needed sunshine. 



















We also had our friends Ingrid and Maurice over for coffee and cake, giving us girls a chance to have a look at my latest finds. The handbags especially were greatly admired.



Coffee at Dove Cottage is serious business. No instant or even ground coffee for us. We always buy coffee beans, which we grind ourselves with one of our vintage coffee grinders. Neither is our coffee being made in any kind of machine or in a caffetiere. It's being brewed the old-fashioned way, with a coffee filter, and tastes all the better for it. As you can see, coffee is always on our shopping list too! 


I’m finishing this post by showing you last week’s only find on the clothes front. I think you had better sit down first, as you will now see the rare sight of me wearing trousers. I picked up this perfectly fitting crimplene pair for € 6 at Think Twice. Here it is paired with a polyester short-sleeved jacket I bought at the same shop last year. The shoes are also a vintage find, from a shop called My Ohm. They cost a little more than I am usually prepared to pay, which is why I left them behind the first time I saw them. As luck would have it they were still there when I changed my mind a few weeks later.  What’s more, I got them at a reduced price!




I wonder what this weekend will bring?

Have you got anything nice planned?

20 comments:

  1. You can't beat a good old clearout. Much better to rotate fewer clothes you love than wade through mountains of stuff that doesn't quite feel right. The prints on your pile look gorgeous, wouldn't mind a rummage through that lot.
    Coffee at Dove Cottage looks wonderful and so do you. Love the rich brown tones in that dress and always good to see Phoebe. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a start but still have a way to go. For the record: Phoebe is "helping", of course! xxx

      Delete
  2. Well done you for liberating those unworn and forgotten beauties from your wardrobe. Totally agree with Vix, I'm having much more fun with fewer clothes! You look gorgeous in those trousers, they suit you and you should wear them more often, those shoes look fab too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, but I don't think you will see me in trousers very often. I have worn trousers almost exclusively for years, but I'm feeling much better wearing dresses and skirts. This pair makes me feel fabulous though, so definitely a keeper! xxx

      Delete
  3. I adore all the fabrics of what you got rid of- beautiful!!!
    Vintage coffee grinder sounds a marvellous idea!!! I must get one for my husband!!!! x
    The trousers are really lovely!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has a serious coffee addiction! The fabric squares are some of the summer frocks I'm keeping, so you will probably see more of them later. xxx

      Delete
  4. I had a shoe clear-out this week and I do feel much better knowing I won't be tempted to injure myself in shoes that I really ought not be wearing.

    The trousers look very nice on you-and a great colour.

    Tell us about the cake-it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to do the shoes ... The cake was shop bought I'm afraid, with all the clearing out there was no time to bake. But it was delicious: apple pie sprinkled with almonds and with a hint of cinnamon. xxx

      Delete
  5. Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one with a What the hell was I thinking pile! I'm needing to do another sort out soon too. I don't put my winter clothes away I just put them to the back of the wardrobe or the bottom of the drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one too ... I really need to put out of season clothes away due to lack of space in my wardrobe. Or maybe I simply have too many clothes ... xxx

      Delete
  6. Love that you have a "What was I thinking?" pile. That made me grin ear-to-ear. I've had clean out like that's too - as well as ones that resulted in piles like "seriously, why did I buy four nearly identical black button front shirts, none of which I really love" or "ugh, the mountain of woefully ill fitting pants". That's so much of the point of a good wardrobe purge though isn't it. Parting ways with those items that no longer speak to us, even if we once adored them, and making room for future purchases that will hopefully spark something in us for a long time to come.

    Great blue and yellow outfit! I really like your royal blue trousers.

    Many hugs & happy wishes for the second half of April,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to your piles too, Jessica. Not all that long ago, I wore trousers almost exclusively, and I had a "Oh no not another pair of black trousers" pile. I'm getting so many compliments for my blue trousers, I think I should start wearing them again. Just not boring black ones, though. xxx

      Delete
  7. It always amazes me when people say they put their summer or winter wardrobe away. I tend to wear most of my clothes all year round, so for instance I'll wear a white linen skirt with a heavy knit jumper in the winter. I couldn't be without any of my pieces, I'd go nuts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My suits, cardies, blouses and some of my skirts stay out all year, but I'm wearing a lot of dresses, most of which are quite seasonal. If I had a walk-in wardrobe, I would have everything out all year, but unfortunately I have a chronic lack of space. xxx

      Delete
  8. Oooh, I love that tie-neck frock! Such a gorgeous shape and colours.

    I don't have many clothes, so all mine live in the wardrobe all year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim. I love a tie-neck frock and have quite a few of them. The one I'm wearing here is definitely a keeper. xxx

      Delete
  9. I've just been having a look through your wardrobe at the the top of your blog and can safely say none of it would go to waste if it was in my house. The dress you have on I have one with the same neckline and wore it over the weekend with a little cardigan.
    I like wearing capri pants at this time of year with some flat shoes.
    My wardrobe needs a once over again as its rammed with stuff.
    LYnn xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got rid of 2 of the dresses in that picture, though. They went in my "What was I thinking of" pile. Some of the other things went in the off-season linen chest, and were replaced by summer frocks. So it's all looking a little bit different now. Still haven't finished the clear out though. xxx

      Delete
  10. I put very few clothes away seasonally, just the bits which are obviously summery like my ice cream sundae skirt and thin summer tops which can't be winterised. I'm going to have a brutal clear out this Spring as we have do little room, but I am very sentimental which doesn't help!

    Love the blue trousers and the tones of that dress xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to put things away to make space for the summery stuff. I really have far too much, and have little room as well. I'm trying not to be too sentimental, but I do have problems parting with certain vintage dresses ... xxx

      Delete